11.26.2010

I am still at the kid table

Well, Thanksgiving proved to be as chaotic as usual for my side of the family. I don't think there is a way around it. It always consists of cocktails starting at 10 a.m. and then an argument regarding what to watch on the one t.v. we have with two stations (Macy's Day Parade or football?). Once the t.v. is on, the volume is always too loud or too quite and commercials must go on mute. 

The cooking starts as early as 8 a.m. and you would think that after years of my grandmother and mother doing this, they would have it down to an art. However, there is always a mad rush to get everything done on time, questions of "what did we forget?" and "where is everyone sitting?" Here I am, married and a mother, and I am still at the kid table. We do tend to have more fun though.

Everyone brings their dogs which means our two, my parents' dog and Samson, an even smaller rat dog. The chaos continues as everyone who comes to the door, the dogs all break out in a mass barking attack which then causes a chain reaction of everyone yelling, "Shut up!" 

Baby really lived up her first Thanksgiving. She supported her dad in a Turkey Bowl football game and then slept for the remainder of the day. She woke up, had a little mashed potatoes and went back to bed. I don't blame her- family is exhausting- not to mention that they all constantly go wake her up.

A few years ago, my mom started doing a buffet for the food. This is really fun. My grandma is always yelling and insisting on everyone going first which causes the young cousins to start packing their plates which then causes my grandfather to start breaking out in a sweat, afraid that he will miss out on all the mashed potatoes and rolls. 

Prayer and saying "thanks" doesn't exist anymore either. Everyone eats way too fast and then all the chaos begins again. "Who is going to clean up?" 

While the young crowd cleans, yells come from the living room. The dogs puked. As many times as we say, "Don't give them scraps," nobody listens. 

Everyone then leaves and we all go to bed. Ahh. Until next year.

1 comments:

NikkiDarlin' said...

Gosh so much fun! My daughter slepy through all her 1st holidays, so this thanksgiving was fun with her.

 
Blog Design by Alt Coast.