1.31.2011

attached to the hip

It seems like just a minute ago I was waiting for Audrey to show signs of really wanting mommy. She had just started reaching for Daddy and me and muttering "Da Da."

Audrey has always been around other people and has been babysat since a very young age. I figured doing that was the recipe for having a social child that didn't suffer from separation anxiety. 

But I was wrong and now have a baby who is screaming for me, yelling for hours when I leave her, clawing and climbing over people to get to me and I can hear "ma ma" in her cries.

She won't even go to her Dad and I am frightened at how long this will last. While I was dropping her off in the church nursery yesterday (she actually didn't cry), I saw mothers with 3-year-olds to 5-year-olds having to deal with separation anxiety. Ah!

I don't know what to do, so I am relying on you moms to tell me. 

Help!

2 comments:

NikkiDarlin' said...

wish I had some really helpful tip to pass along, but I don't. My daughter is the same way sometimes. She has her moments. When it comes to her grandparents she is fine. She could care less about mommy. But when it comes to me just leaving a room sometimes she freaks out and throws fits. I guess it's something they grow out of. I hope. Good luck hun.

Sherry said...

I saw your cry on Bloggy Moms and moseyed right over. Children go through this stage normally until 18 months. It's when they start to realize they are a separate being from their Mom. I understand how much this tugs at your heart, and possibly hurts hubbies, but it's totally normal and she will get through it. Don't take it personally . . . I know that's easier said than done.

With most kids it just a stage, but yes there are some of us that still struggle even after 18 months. For my son, he got it honest. His Dad's side of the family suffers from anxiety and needs meds to manage. My son is now at the meds point and is doing great.

My advice to you is to go through your daily routine as normal and she will eventually learn and get past it. This is just one of those life lessons that children go through. Most make it through and are better for it, and others just need more love, attention, and help which is where my son fit in.

Plus as your daughter grows she will gravitate to one parent or another at times, so when that time comes that she gravitates to your husband just sit back and let him have a turn. She'll be back to you with her genuine love when she needs you. ;)

Please contace me @ citychiconafarm@gmail.com if you need to chat! I've been there and know exactly how you feel. ;)

Hope this information helps!

 
Blog Design by Alt Coast.