1.27.2011

ugh, baby weight


I gained 35 pounds during pregnancy. I could have done better and I could have done worse. But with all that behind, now I have to lose it.

Many women told me that “it will just fall off” during breastfeeding. But I’ve always had trouble losing weight even with two hours of exercising per day and strict dieting.I am not one of those women who can just start walking or give up soda and lose twenty pounds. Somehow eating pretty well and being active my whole life has made it harder to lose weight. Nice irony there.

Audrey is 7-months-old and I’ve lost 30 pounds so far. Yes, even though I’m back in my old jeans- my body is still pretty different. I’m going to have to go buy some “momma” jeans and throw out the hip-hugger college jeans.

The weight went off in sections. The first ten pounds in the first two weeks just naturally (because I was definitely still eating a lot) and then the second ten pounds was when I started exercising and the last ten pounds was from really watching portion sizes.

Most of us all know we eat large portions, especially when we love to eat out. After nine months of pregnancy and not worrying about eating the same amount as your husband, it is a hard habit to break.

Another lesson learned is in regards to diets. I have done every popular diet out there. The only one that really helped was L.A. Weightloss- and you know what? All they do is teach you the food pyramid and portion control.

Thus, I have learned that eating healthy and exercising is the only way to go. Yes, it may be tougher and longer to see results- but it is the way to go.

Now that I am nearing my pre-pregnancy number, it is getting harder and harder. And I would like another 30 pounds off. Phew. This is going to be fun.

Here are a few things that have helped me as well as some inspirational stories that keep me going:

1. Exercise. I started walking and running with Audrey in the jogging stroller early. She loves it and either falls asleep or just looks around. It is a way to stimulate her, while I get a break. On cold or rainy days, I will use my indoor bike. I jump on during nap time or have Audrey in the room with some toys.

2. Water. L.A. Weightloss started me on my water kick. I used to be terrible and now I can’t get through a day without my recommended 64 ounces. Get a water bottle you can carry everywhere/fit into your purse, and make sure to finish it by the end of the day. Getting a 64 oz. water bottle is the best, but I carry a 33.8 water bottle and make sure I drink and refill half way through the day.

3. Portion sizes and calories. It is true- in order to lose weight you must burn more calories than you consume. When I am on the bike for an hour and see 300 calories come off, I know that 300 calories was probably my breakfast. Look at calories and try to keep portions at about fist size (whoa, I really need to work on that myself).

4. Know your body. From past diets and paying attention to what I consume, I know my bad habits. Those bad habits are crazier after pregnancy. I never used to touch chocolate and now I just want it all the time. I am also a carb lover and know that when I limit my carbs, my body responds. I am not saying that taking out carbs will be the best for you, but know your habits and try limiting things.

Things I am going to work on:
Now I am getting into the tough zone. So far, I have had it easy. I finally hit my plateau and that tells me, I need to step it up again. Ugh.

1. Condiments. Crap. I am a salad girl and have a salad every day. I could eat salads every night too. But, I know that my condiments make it as calorie loaded as bigger meals. So, I am going to watch my dressing and cheese. I’ve also been addicted to avocado lately, so that will need to be taken in smaller amounts. While it is a “good” fat, it is still a fat.

2. Wine. Double crap. While wine is my treat that I allow myself, I’ve been great lately with just having one glass per week and a few on the weekend. Knowing that I am consuming roughly 100 calories per glass, I know that I have to push my workout a little more to allow myself that treat.

3. Exercise. I am going to do a race in June which is really pushing my running. Signing up for something like that really locks me into running and pushes me to go farther and faster because I know that even one week without running will set me back.

4. Meals. I am one that gets really busy and skips meals. I then go running and am starving by dinner time. Small healthy snacks during the day are on my must-do list so that I do not eat too much at dinner time. 
From one mom to another, WE CAN DO IT! Tell me what methods have helped you or if you have an inspirational story, I would love to hear it and share it. Nothing keeps us going better than motivation and helping each other along. 

3 comments:

Sweet D said...

I work out 3 times a week and watch my calories and portion control. It's working for me. I've lost 40 lbs in the last year.

Don't throw out those jeans just yet! You'll get there. Congrats on losing the baby weight.

Stephanie said...

For me, what did the trick was Weight Watchers. It wasn't so much the counting of points that helped, but keeping a food journal, which held me accountable. I also learned how to measure my food so now I can easily recognize what a healthy serving size looks like. And, by knowing which foods are "high in WW points" it is easy to either avoid them or have them in moderation.

Of course, then I went and got pregnant again, so I'll be doing this again in a few months. Wish me luck! :)

NikkiDarlin' said...

I hate working out. I know I need to. I did give up a lot of soda. my daughter is 17months and i'm still ten pounds over my pre preggo weight.
Good luck with your weight loss.

 
Blog Design by Alt Coast.