3.28.2011

caution: change ahead

My sister and I have always liked change. I see myself in her a bit as she is plunging into her college years, moving from place to place just trying to find herself. 

Since a young age we both have tried out several personal style changes, hair colors, boyfriends, friends, bedroom decors, sports, shampoos, makeups, diets and hobbies. Furthermore, the both of us love to move and travel. Always getting a change of scenery.

I have always been envious of those people who know their style and have stuck to it. For ten years they have used the same shampoo or mascara because they feel it is the best. I can't tell you how many shampoos or mascaras I have tried.

I don't know where my sister and I got this changing attitude. My parents have been together since high school and lived in the same area forever. My dad has worked at the same company since graduating college. They both wear the same type of clothes and jean brands. 

For goodness sake, my gorgeous mother is still stuck on her frosty pink lipstick and Maybelline Great Lash mascara - you know, in the pink and green tube.

After years, God finally got beneath me and grounded me. I know who I am and love the life He has chosen for me. However, I still see these glimpses of desiring change. I am constantly wanting to redecorate, make new meals, change my wardrobe, and I am still changing shampoos! 

At least I've never gotten a tattoo. My wise father always said, "Think about how many times you change your hair color before you go get a permanent tattoo."

My poor husband used to be worried that I was just easily bored and would someday be bored of him. I know the things that can't get any better- my husband being one of those things. 

But I'll take my changing attitude in a good way: things can always get better, healthier and stronger. Whether that is my faith, my kitchen cabinets or choice of shampoo.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, 
Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference.



1 comments:

Jenn at Sweet T Makes Three said...

Being adaptable to change is a gift! Though I have to give it to your mom: Great Lash is the best. ;)

 
Blog Design by Alt Coast.