3.30.2011

reshaping my life: week 3

This week is almost a bigger challenge for me than watching my portions and keeping up at the exercise. I'm working on the inside. 

A great metaphor from Cameron's book
           A teacher filled a large glass jar with stones. He then asked the class, "Is the jar full?" The class all said, "yes." The teacher then took a bag of gravel and poured it into the jar, filling up the empty spaces. He asked again, "Is it full?" The class said "yes" and "no." The teacher then poured a bucket of sand into the jar, shaking it until the grains were settled between the gravel and stones. He asked again, "Is it full?" The class said, "no." He then asked what the jar represented. "Life." "If we prioritize our lives to take care of the very important things first, everything finds and settles into its place, so everything can get done."

That is my goal this week to start working on. I'm great at making lists, but the joke in the family is: Yes, I spend so much time making lists and remaking those lists and then I forget them. True, I always forget my list when I go to the store. 

Furthermore, maybe less time making lists and more time doing the things I need to do! Prioritize. God and family first. So even if I have to wake up a little before Audrey does so I can get time to read my Bible, I'll do it. 

After that is exercise. If I don't exercise before I start doing house chores or whatever is on "my list," then I won't get to it. 

It isn't that I'm a procrastinator, I just get easily distracted. Take yesterday for example: I've been spring cleaning and yesterday's goal was to start the kitchen. Therefore, I started the kitchen and found something that needed to go in the entertainment center. Then I started cleaning the entertainment center! I got that all done, but my kitchen didn't get done. 

So, I'm making a list and sticking to it!

“Don't be a time manager, be a priority manager. Cut your major goals into bite-sized pieces. Each small priority or requirement on the way to ultimate goal become a mini goal in itself.”
-Denis Waitley 

"Set priorities for your goals. A major part of successful living lies in the ability to put first things first. Indeed, the reason most major goals are not achieved is that we spend our time doing second things first." -Author Unknown 

The queen list-maker herself: my mom

                                    

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Alt Coast.