4.05.2011

reshaping my life: week 4 - PERSEVERE!

I've hit a bump in the road. I'm not sure where it came from. Last week I was feeling that I completely had this under control and that there was no way it could slip away. This week, I'm kind of scared of slipping. 

For the past three weeks I have practiced really listening to my body and what it needs. Needs not wants. I've gotten pretty good. 

However, yesterday was the first time in these last three plus weeks that I experienced hunger pains. My stomach was actually growling which was strange because I ate a healthy breakfast and had my coffee. Normally it isn't until 1 p.m. that I make a little lunch. But yesterday, 11 a.m. came and my tummy sounded so sad. 

After Audrey fell asleep, I made a Yumm! Bowl and to my surprise - ate the whole thing. I looked at that clean bowl and asked myself, "What's going on?" Before too long, I really wanted a cookie. Uh Oh.

There are a number of factors that contribute to our unhealthy eating habits that are both emotional and physical. Stress can cause a person to not eat or to eat too much. Neither one of those is healthy, but I am an eater and was always envious of those who got stressed and oops, dropped ten pounds. 

Happiness and confidence can attribute to letting go "just this one time" because you lost ten pounds. Relaxation can lead to the "I don't really care" attitude - "I'm on vacation!" 

So I had to really think about why all of the sudden I am feeling this mood change which is affecting my eating habits. This is something I would suggest to anyone. If you noticed a change in eating or on the scale, sit down and really think about your mood and write down things you believe could be causing it. 

Before you make a doctor's appointment, you list all of your symptoms so that they can make a proper diagnosis. Do this for yourself so you can make your own diagnosis and be aware when it comes up again.  

My symptoms:

Stress: My dad had surgery yesterday for an issue he was having with his artificial heart valve that was replaced about ten years ago. I found out last night everything went pretty well. 

Physical: My whole family is sick again! We've had a cold every month since January. This definitely affects my eating because I don't feel good and just want to sit on the couch and comfort myself in some good ol' tapioca. 

Weather: Last week it was 70 degrees and sunny. That not only gets me in a good mood, it gets me outside and doses me up with some much needed Vitamin D. Being spring, it quickly got rainy and cold again. Therefore, my mood, sickness and weather makes the perfect cocktail for sitting inside, on the couch and wanting more tapioca.

Prescription:

  • Avoid the kitchen as much as possible. If I am stuck in the house, move to the bedroom or living room to do my tasks. 
  • Get out and do something. 
  • Eat encouragement: look at my favorite quotes, Web sites, books (Reshaping It All...) and verses through the Bible to keep me on the right track - or get me back on track.
  • Journal it. If I am feeling emotional and want to eat, think about what is causing it and write it down. Then, distract myself. 
  • Comfort with coffee. Since I'm not feeling too well, I do just want some comfort in my mouth. Therefore, I've turned to coffee and tea which is warm, soothing and fills me up. 
  • Persevere: This is my absolute favorite word, and it is funny how God works because lately it has appeared everywhere in front of me! 
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us (Hebrews 12:1).

Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope (Romans 5:3-4).

Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers (1 Timothy 4:16).

Because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance (James 1:3).

0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Alt Coast.