If you are married to a hunter, you too, have had to figure out not only how to eat elk, but how to cook it.
Once fond of elk meat, pregnancy turned me somewhat against it. Only when you can really smell or taste the gaminess. I have found a few ways around it considering it is a good, lean meat and is filling up our freezer.
1 package ground elk
1 package pasta noodles (Rotini or Penne)
1 jar flavored marinara sauce
Salt & Pepper
1. Boil noodles in heavy salt water (enough where the water tastes salty) & olive oil
2. Heat olive oil & garlic in deep saute pan on medium high
3. Add meat to the saute pan & cook thoroughly
4. Add plenty of basil, more garlic, salt & pepper (to taste) to meat
5. Add marinara sauce to pan along with another tablespoon of olive oil
6. Add 1/2-1 cup of water from your cooked pasta (adds creaminess to sauce)
6. Drain pasta & add to simmering meat sauce
7. Mix pasta & sauce while adding 2-3 cups Parmesan (again, to liking but the more the better)
8. Remove from heat & add 1-2 tablespoons of butter9. Bowl it up, add more Parmesan and Basil to top and get a fork!