6.20.2011

To Daddy, Love Baby

[make sure to check out the style page & home page for new photos!]

Today is not only a day where dads get to sit back and be exempted from lawn mowing or house projects. It is a day honoring the amazing things that happen when man becomes “Dad.”

The man that you knew to wear a rugged beard, dirty jeans and fix leaks morphs into someone who speaks in a high-pitched baby voice, knows how to swaddle, sings nursery rhymes and glows every time he hears “Daddy.”

I've never seen my husband so full of love and so sleep-deprived than in the past year. Man doesn't know patience, energy or his true hair strength until he has children, especially little princesses. Just ask my dad.

So when my monthly column fell on not only Father's Day, but also the first birthday or our daughter, Audrey, I thought nothing would be better than to write a letter to my husband from Audrey. Although she can't really speak, I believe this is what she would say.

Dear Daddy,

I know you were a little scared to have a girl and trust me, I would be too. But you and I have something special: You are my leader, my example and my best friend. When I came into the world, you swept me right up and have been giving me that unconditional love ever since.

Thank you, Daddy, for holding Mommy's hand and cheering her on throughout my arrival. Sorry that she may have broken your hand. And while she was passed out, thank you for recording video of my first bath and asking the nurse all the important questions.

You sure knew how to swaddle me just right, Daddy. Thank you for practicing before and redoing it every time Mommy tried to. Thank you for learning the secret 5 S's and working so hard at them to help me sleep and be comforted in this new place.

Thank you, Daddy, for being there for Mommy when she was emotional. Thank you for getting up with me in the night and letting me fall asleep in your arms.

I'm sorry about all the pink Daddy, but Mommy can't help it. I promise that I will wear my Cabela's overalls, hickory shirts and boots too. And although I am not a boy, I can't wait to fish, hunt and explore the woods with you, Daddy. I'm excited to get that pink gun you keep talking about.

Thank you for growing tomatoes in the garden for me even though you and Mommy don't like them, reading me Curious George 10 times in one night and giving me clean diapers. You are always thinking of me and taking care of me.

Thank you, Daddy, for being the faithful leader that you are. You are such a good example, and I can't wait for you to start teaching me all you know. Your faith and patience will come in handy when I start having boyfriends and periods.

You are so brave and strong, Daddy. Thank you for always assuring Mommy that I'll be OK when she is worrying and for letting me do the fun things that she won't. You are always making me laugh.

I'm sorry I'm so expensive, Daddy. But just like how you acquired Mommy's debt from Grandpa, hopefully some man will take on mine too.

Thank you for taking such good care of Mommy and me, Daddy. You are always working hard so we are happy and comfortable. I hope I meet a man just like you some day.

Thank you, Daddy, for this wonderful year. I'm already becoming a reflection of the wonderful person you are.

Love,

Audrey 


0 comments:

 
Blog Design by Alt Coast.